The injuries this week forced me to go Barrel Aged. In whiskey barrels. Crooked Stave's Nightmare on Brett. 9.66%. Loaded with the feel of Denver's own Leopold Bros whiskey. Much like the Packers, it has Super smooth feel.
This week's short takes:
* BJ Raji. Ouch. He was playing in FREEZER like form. But, it was nice to see pictures of Guion in pads at practice. Guion can play. He's an under-discussed signing. He can absolutely impact our defense, if healthy. A week ago, I didn't think this was a possibility. I'm fired up that he's back.
* Brad Jones will miss more than the opener. I'm confident in that. It'll give us a chance to see what Barrington & Lattimore can bring to the table. It could be a blessing for the long term.
* Bummed about Tretter. Our OL depth is frighteningly thin right now. I have confidence in Linsley, but I'm worried that he won't have time to get up-to-speed. I'd suit Linsley up this week. I don't think I'd play him. I'd also sit Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Lang and Sitton. I'd also sit T-Mon, Sammy Swagga, Peppers, Mike Neal, Nick Perry, Lacy, Nelson, Cobb and Rodgers. There's nothing to gain from them playing. And, there's a lot to evaluate among the players behind them.
* Eddie Lacy. Bruising forward. Good vision. Pimping his sailor hat. Dreads flopping. The Green & Yellow Bumblebee.
* Aaron Rodgers. In rhythm. MVP form. Brilliance abound. A spiritual gangsta.
* The offense is playing with confidence. They believe in themselves. It's brilliant for my eye.
* The next time we see Clay Matthews. He'll be playing at ILB. A spy on Russell Wilson. Mike Neal & Nick Perry will be rotating with Julius Peppers at the OLB positions. Watch it. Clay will be a Predator. Wilson will be the Prey.
* Julius Peppers. Yellow shoes. Shining under the lights. Playing with grand intent. Stoked!
* 3rd down. From left to right: Julius Peppers Mike Daniels, Mike Neal, Nick Perry. Behind them, it's Clay. Make it happen, Dom!
* Hyde on the blitz is a powerful attacker. A total weapon.
* In past year's, there was great dependence on Clay getting to the QB. This year, it's much less. Pass rushers are all over the defense.
* Nick Perry with the strip-sack! When he's coming from the right side, he shows his talents.
* Julius Peppers could not be blocked. He was a man on a mission.
* Datone Jones has improved each week in the preseason. Need to see continued progression.
* Richard Rodgers. Solid receiver. Awful blocker.
* Said it last week. I'll say it again. Fade to AQ81? Never again please.
* Ryan Taylor & Jake Stoneburner stating their case for a roster spot. Especially if Bostick has to start on the PUP.
* DUJUAN HARRIS! This offense has 3 LEGIT RB's. Harris is our 2nd best.
* When Starks runs hard, the dude is fun to watch.
* Jordy Nelson. Forever!
* Catch the ball, Randall Cobb. Also, take a discounted contract extension.
* As stated early, the Raji injury hurts. Time for Guion to make an impact.
* Love how Boyd gets his hands up.
* Thought Pennel rebounded really well after a slow start.
* Boyd + Thornton = Hustle.
* Jayrone Elliot makes this team.
* Davon House was sensational! He's soon to be nicknamed Mr. August. If he could translate that energy to the Regular Season on a consistent basis, the make-up of the Packers defense would be even grander. He's play with fierce intent, complete determination and sheer focus.
* Really excited to see Sean Richardson jarring the ball loose.
* Really like Adrian Hubbard's length. Found himself around the ball. Also got swallowed, at times. Great developmental prospect. Hard to imagine him not getting picked up if he was on the Practice Squad.
* Carl Bradford. Another reason that I'm in the staffing business and not in the scouting business. I was confident he'd be able to play in the NFL. Now? I'm not so sure.
* Extremely happy for Sherrod. Stood up like a MAN on Friday Night!
* I want Joe Thomas to get some action! Wanted him to be healthy. Extremely excited for him to be back next year. Early prediction: he'll be on the 2015 Packers roster.
* Jumal Rolle is impressive. Active. Takes risks. Plays with confidence. Want to see more of him as a gunner.
* Demetri Goodson is headed to the Practice Squad.
* Really wished Myles White would have caught that quick out. Liked him over the middle. Kid can play.
* Alex Gillett with the acrobats! Showing fancy flair in the corner of the end zone. He, too, made his case for the practice squad.
* Andrew Tiller is a fighter. Would like to see more of him. Clearly, he was ahead of Fullington on the depth chart. Thought they were just tucking Fullington away, but Tiller continued to push forward and slug away. Until he met the IR, which was probably TT's way of making sure that he didn't end up elsewhere. Fullington will get his chance this week. He'll end up on the Practice Squad. He has upside.
* Bummed that Lyerla isn't sticking around. Wish him the best!
* Looking forward to seeing more of Rajion Neal in the preseason next year. Figured he'd be stashed on the IR.
* Anxious to see Davante Adams and Aaron Rodgers connecting. It'll be lethal.
* The speed on the defensive side of the ball gave cause for excitement. We were flying around the field. Attacking the ball. Need to finish plays when the regular season comes around. Would love to see this defense regain it's turnover excellence.
This week - it's the Chiefs in what will likely be a battle between players who are fighting to make the roster. In my mind, the Packers are deeper than any team in the league right now. Flynn & Tolzien may not be elite back-ups, but they're sufficient and they're littered with weapons around them. The depth of the 2014 Packers athleticism shines. The Packers win.
Packers 23. Chiefs 20.
Have a Safe and Happy Labor Day.
Go Pack Go!