In a year of dangled possibilities and Super aspirations, our dreams won't be roasted. Trinity Brewing confirmed such beliefs. If you're a beer connoisseur and you aren't familiar with Trinity, you're missing out. I've thoroughly watched the Packers v Rams preseason game. As I've indulged in the game, I've enjoyed a fine selection of Trinity's flavors. Old Growth is beyond spectacular. Red Swingline is a life changer for beer lovers. The Trinity Damn It Feels Good to be a Gangsta is tremendous. Combining Trinity Brewing with Green Bay Packers football leads to elite smiles. Vibe On.
Here are my small takes for the week:
* I'm on record. The Packers are winning the Super Bowl this year. The no-huddle brilliance was on display. When in rhythm, it's unstoppable. The OL is mature with the exception of Tretter. Tretter is an Ivy League mind. He's grasped the offense. When Lacy & Rodgers are in lock-step, this offense is scintillating. I'm yearning for a healthy 2014 Season.
* 3rd & 5. Rodgers to Boykin for 8 on a quick out. That's trust.
* Eddie Lacy. The Green & Yellow Bumblebee. The key to the NFC.
* Casey Hayward playing as an aggressive tackler.
* With Ha Ha & Micah on the field, the Packers will get off the field on the 3rd down more often than not. Think back to all of the missed tackles on 3rd down that led to 1st downs. Ha Ha & Micah won't miss those tackles.
* Mike Pennel is a LOCK to make the 53-man roster. Great find, TT. Interesting tidbit, I met one of his acquaintances at the grocery store on Tuesday. His acquaintance was my cashier at the grocery store. His name was Javon. He is going to Colorado State-Pueblo this year to play basketball. Met Pennel on a recruiting visit. Javon's best buddy is named AJ. AJ is a freshman QB for Colorado State-Pueblo this year. They visited the school together, which is what led to his introduction. Javon said that Pennel was a "solid brother. Really welcoming." Javon was soft spoken. Couldn't get much else out of him. But, the thought of Pennel's name elicited positive energy out of Javon. He was stoked when I told him that I thought Pennel was a lock to make the team.
* Jeff Janis is also a lock to make the 53-man roster. You can't teach speed. Sure, Janis might still struggle with route running. And, I love reading about Rodgers' demands to push Janis to master his routes. You can teach route running. Janis is raw. And, his upside is high. V-12, he is.
* The Claymaker with a spin and a burst! Also, enjoyed seeing him use his smarts and show great recognition on the screen.
* I really want to like Bostick. But, man, he's soft. You can't trust him. He's too fragile.
* Don't dance, James Starks. Bruise your way forward. Lower the shoulder. Get after it. Oh, and catch the ball.
* Rodgers' pump fake is a thing of beauty.
* Ryan Taylor, Chris Banjo, Nate Palmer and Kevin Dorsey might be seen on the 1st team special teams units, but none of them are elite enough on special teams to warrant a roster spot because of it.
* Mike Daniels has Pro Bowl potential.
* BJ Raji looks like THE FREEZER. He's off to an active start.
* Nice to see Peppers get the edge!
* Well played, Brad Jones. You, too, AJ Hawk.
* I like DuJuan Harris as the kickoff returner. Want to see more of Janis as the punt returner.
* Not what I wanted to see out of Sherrod.
* Terrific work, Lane Taylor.
* Didn't like Ha Ha overrunning the crossing route, but I was happy that he was trusting his instincts. Showed poor depth perception though. Looked like he thought the ball would be overthrown.
* Davante Adams is going to be a stallion. Makes catches in traffic. Off the back hip? It's no problem. Back shoulder? It's all good. He has mad game.
* Randall Cobb should take a 2-year contract. At a discount. If not, it might be wise to consider keeping Myles White on the 53-man roster. White has solid potential and runs nice routes out of the slot.
* Love Datone Jones' effort. We need to see enhanced production. If he can become a consistent difference maker, this defense will be dominant.
* Mike Neal looks like he's ready to have a big year.
* Good hustle, Josh Boyd.
* Richard Rodgers clearly is a quick study. But, man, his effort as a blocker v Chris Long was dismal.
* Mulumba showed that he belongs in the NFL. But, his upside is lighter than Elliot and Hubbard.
* Barrington on an inside blitz!
* Wrap up, Lattimore. Like the aggression, but finish the play.
* The Barrington and Lattimore combination brings great intensity. An attitude that isn't seen with Hawk & Jones at ILB.
* Wish we'd see Fullington at Tackle. Looks like they're saving him for the Practice Squad.
* Kevin Dorsey reminds me of Tori Gurley. Has the physique. He can run. But, he's inconsistent and seems to have mental blocks, at times. Had he hauled in the over-the-shoulder fly route, it'd have been a TD.
* Myles White might not make the Packers roster, but he'll be catching passes in the NFL this year. If I were an NFL GM who was in need of WR depth, I'd trade a 7th round pick for him. If the Packers try to keep on the Practice Squad, he'll be grabbed by another team.
* Don't ever need to see the corner fade to AQ81 again.
* Jayrone Elliot! Before camp, I mentioned that he'd be a tough cut. Especially if he figured out his alligator arms when making a tackle. Now? How do you keep him off the roster?
* Good to see Carl Bradford with a pressure on the QB.
* Adrian Hubbard showing burst off the snap! Love his length. He looks like a top-53 player.
* Jumal Rolle v Demetri Goodson. At best, there's one spot. Rolle looks more naturally gifted at CB. Goodson has showed promise as a gunner. Goodson is a TT draft pick. Still, at this point, I give the edge to Rolle.
* Seems to me like Rajion Neal is destined for the IR.
* LaDarius Perkins is worthy of the Practice Squad.
* Happy that Colt Lyerla will get another crack next year.
* I really thought Letroy Guion would make an impact this year, but if he doesn't play, how can you keep him?
* I'm SO ANXIOUS to see more of Joe Thomas.
* Janis, the V-12! Lacy, the Green & Yellow Bumblebee! Adams, the Stallion! I'm stoked!
This week - the Raiders come to town. That means Sir Charles is coming to town! Sir Charles is my favorite football player. Ever. I'm super excited that he's coming back to Lambeau. It'll be great for him to get a warm welcome. Rise Up for Sir Charles, Lambeau! Sir Charles is one sack away from becoming the first player in the history of the NFL with 50 interceptions and 20 sacks. He's also 4 interceptions from 60 career interceptions. Further, I don't believe any other player has ever had 40 interceptions and 20 sacks. Please Sir Charles, grab 1 sack this year! Sir Charles' career stats with the Packers: 7 years. 11.5 sacks. 38 interceptions. 10 TD's. One Defensive MVP. One Super Bowl ring. Pure pimp, he is.
Also returning to Titletown, U.S.A. are two players whose stats that I'll be writing about all year: James Jones & CJ Wilson. Both players production could lead to compensatory picks for the Packers. Dear Jones & Wilson, thanks for the memories. XLV for Life!
The Raiders are improved, but they can't run with the Packers. Look for the defense to generate pressure, once again. Additionally, look for a few forced turnovers as well.
Packers 30. Raiders 16.
At this stage, if I were responsible for selecting the 53-man roster, here would be my Week 1 team:
QB: Rodgers, Tolzien, Flynn
RB: Lacy, Harris, Starks, Kuhn
WR: Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Adams, Janis
TE: Rodgers, AQ81, Bostick
OL: Bakhtiari, Sitton, Tretter, Lang, Bulaga, Taylor, Sherrod, Linsley
DL: Raji, Daniels, Jones, Boyd, Pennel, Thornton
OLB: CM3, Peppers, Neal, Perry, Hubbard, Elliot, Bradford (17)
ILB: Jones, Hawk, Barrington, Lattimore (13)
CB: T-Mon, Sammy Swagga, J-Bush, Ras-House, Rolle, Hayward
S: Ha Ha, Micah, Burnett, Richardson
Practice Squad: Stoneburner, Perkins, Goodson, Fullington, Mulumba, Palmer, Myles White, Harper, Banjo, Luther Robinson. Note: I don't fully understand the new Practice Squad rules. So, if someone on this list isn't eligible, I'd add either Luther Robinson or Kevin Dorsey (depending on who was not eligible for the Practice Squad).
IR: Barclay, Abbrederis, Neal, Lyerla
Go Pack Go!