Friday, August 15, 2014

My Take -> Preseason Week 2

Greetings, G-Force.

I didn't get to MY TAKE last week. Over the last two weeks, I've been in 4 different Hotel rooms in Chicago's Loop, I've stayed 2 nights in a hotel in Steamboat and I spent two nights in Albuquerque celebrating my Brother's 40th Birthday. Time flies. Embrace today.

Dewar's. Ice. Makes me think of my Grandpa McKenna. Thanks for Shining From Heaven, Grandpa!

Here are some quick hits from the Packers v Titans game and other vibes that have occurred since I last wrote:

* Props to my Dad! He's celebrating 25 years as the DJ at Lambeau Field! #Mac #PackersHOF

* Stoked that TT is locked up!

* I need a signed Jordy photo for my Packers Wall of Fame! LOCKED HIM UP!

* Brett Favre. The Football Jesus. Green & Gold. #4 is back! Epic! For those, that are still full o' hate, I remind you that in Brett Favre's last season in the NFL, the Green Bay Packers won the Super Bowl. Bless up, Brett!

* Sad to lose Donny Barclay for the season. Jared Abbrederis as well. And, Colt Lyerla's injury smells like he's destined for IR.

* James Starks looked to be in mid season form. If he's healthy, he'll team with Eddie Lacy to be a lethal 1-2 Combo.

* Welcome back, DuJuan Harris! Another weapon in the arsenal. Hoping he wins the Kickoff Returner role. He's a big play waiting to happen.

* If Rajion Neal stays healthy, he emerge as a fan favorite.

* Hope the last three offensive plays are not a sign of play calling to come. 2nd & 1. Shotgun. Draw. No gain. 3rd & 1. Shotgun. Draw. No gain. 4th & 1. Deep ball. Incomplete.

* AQ81 has to catch the ball. Rain or not.

* Richard Rodgers looks good in #89. A willing downfield blocker. Wasn't punishing, but he was sufficient.

* Good run after the catch, Brandon Bostick. But, the holding penalty? There was no reason to hold.

* Knock off the rust, Bryan Bulaga. Good to see you again!

* Derek Sherrod looked better than he ever has in a Packers uniform. A definite bright spot!

* John Fullington looked good at RG. Better than Lane Taylor. Would be excited to see Fullington play Tackle this week.

* Sitton, Tretter, Lang doing a solid job of opening rush lanes.

* After the botched snap, I thought Corey Linsley looked really good.

* Don't reflect on Davante Adams as a Punt Returner. That's not his game. He's a crisp route runner. He's deceptively quick. Great hip movements. Gets in and out of his breaks. Next time, I hope he reaches for a first down.

* Chris Harper. He reminds me a lot of James Jones. Strong. Inconsistent hands. Not overly fast, but somehow, he gets open. Often. But, will he hang on?

* Couldn't be more excited to see Jeff Janis in action. I'm curious to see if he can be a gunner on special teams.

* BJ Raji. Quick off the snap. Rumbling forward. Boogie On, BJ!

* Mike Daniels. Brute. The master of leverage.

* I'm worried that Datone Jones will be a bust. While Daniels is small in height and plays big, Jones has great length but plays small. He tries to get underneath a blocker, but when he gets stood up at the line, he fails to get his arms up.

* Khyri Thornton giving effort!

* Josh Boyd will be instrumental this year.

* Mike Pennel will be in the mix for a roster spot. Really impressive preseason debut.

* Get healthy, Letroy Guion. I expect you to make your presence felt this year.

* New Year. Same Brad Jones. One play, he is laying a nice hit. Soon after, he shows that he still lacks instincts. He's chasing down ball carriers, while stumbling over his own feet. I really want to be a fan of Jones. At best, he's a mediocre ILB.

* #56. Intimidating. I'd like to see him with his hand in the turf.

* Nick Perry on the right side. Exclusively. I like it.

* Joe Thomas looked really quick. Instinctive. Attacks the football. I want to see more. Immediately.

* Sam Barrington was active. One big missed tackle, but other than that, he looked like he belonged.

* The penalty on Casey Hayward was absurd. No way that's defensive holding.

* Really pleased with my first glimpse of Ha Ha. He brings a presence. Was surprised to see Ha Ha attacking the box, while Hyde was roaming deep. Thought those roles would be reversed.

* Crosby swinging with confidence!

* J-Bush playing with a fierce intensity.

* Jumal Rolle makin' plays! Play On, Playa!

* Sean Richardson looks the part. He has the physique. He was assignment sure. If he can finish plays, he might push for playing time in the regular season.

* Carl Bradford was swallowed. Keep fighting, man. Your motor is your best attribute.

* Nate Palmer. I've seen enough.

* I knew Jake Doughty was small, but man, he looked tiny. And, he was slow to react. That surprised me.

* Andy Mulumba gave a ton of effort, but he's limited in potential.

* I'd like to see more of Jayrone Elliot & Adrian Hubbard. Both have a significantly higher upside than Mulumba & Palmer.

* Demetri Goodson might be having a rough camp, but I liked his desire as a gunner on special teams.

* Kevin Dorsey is being given every opportunity to make the roster. Seems like a coaches favorite.

* I write it every year: How is LeRoy Butler not in the NFL Hall of Fame? He was on the team of the decade in the 90's. He invented the Lambeau Leap. He was nearly the first player to 40 interceptions and 20 sacks. He won a Super Bowl. He was a great Leader in the locker room and in the community. I can't figure it out.

* The Jerel Worthy story is disappointing. I thought he had the potential to be an elite NFL player. Instead, he was a Wounded Warrior. Hurt more often than not. I'll remember him for his sack of Ray Nutler. I wish him well in NE. He wasn't a fit for the 3-4. I'm happy that TT got a pick for him because he was unlikely to make the team this year.

This week - it's the Rams. In StL. The Rams are legit. Defensively, they come with conviction. Littered with weapons who passionately pursue. On a fast surface. That's a tough combination to compete against. It's too bad that the Rams play in the NFC West. If they played in the NFC East or the NFC South, they'd compete for the Division title. It'll be a tough challenge for the Packers to protect the QB.

I'm excited to see Aaron Rodgers. The Packers Spiritual Gangster is sure to lead the Packers on a scoring drive. I fully anticipate Lacy to get a series or two. Nothing more. Look for Kuhn and Rodgers to be lined up in front of Lacy. Wishbone form. Watch for play-action. Nelson. 20 yards. Packers 1st down. Beautiful imagery!

Look for Peppers to be more aggressive. And comfortable. Watch Daniels & Raji punch OL in the mouth. The Packers defensive front has great rotational depth. I expect to see fresh legs and consistent push.

Flynn & Tolzien will also engineer scoring drives. The Packers depth is fully on display. Myles White is catching balls on short out routes from the slot. Flynn hits Adams for a first down. Justin Perillo catches a Tolzien pass for a TD.

Defensively, once again, it's Mike Pennel who impresses. He has size. He has surprising quickness of the ball. He gobbles ball carriers. Barrington & Lattimore each play sideline-to-sideline. They show burst as attacking ILB.

Packers 27. Rams 16.

Go Pack Go!

Talkin' S-Mac.
talkins-mac.blogspot.com

No comments: