Saturday, April 12, 2008

The TE Dilemma

Greetings, G-Force.

A cup of coffee got me thinking.

Much has been made of our need to add TE help. Admittedly, I've been outspoken in regards to our requirement to draft a TE, however as draft day nears I'm beginning to wonder when we should look to add a TE. Conventional wisdom says that the Packers should look to draft a TE in the top 3 rounds. While I like the games of Davis, Bennett, Carlson, and Rucker, I am not convinced that anyone of them are a necessary addition to the post-Favre era. After further review, offensively speaking, I'd rather add someone with home run position at either WR or RB in the first three rounds and then draft a hard working, overachiever at TE later.

OK, OK...So, yes...I admit it, I am the guy that originally stated that Fred Davis was the guy that I wanted the Packers to draft in the 1st round. But, history changed this off-season. Therefore, I reserve the right to change my mind as draft day nears. Not only did the Football Jesus retire, but the Packers also decided to release Bubba. And Bubba needs to be replaced.

After further research, it deserves to be mentioned that Donald Lee averaged 6.0 yards after the catch. In comparison, Jennings led the Pack with an average of 7.4 yards after the catch. K-Rob had 6.1, Driver had 5.3, Jones had 4.7, Martin had 4.1, and Bubba had 2.6. Lee also had 48 catches - 3rd on the team - 6 TD's - 2nd on the team, and 575 yards. Lee also averaged 12.0 yards per catch. Statistically speaking, Lee has proved that he does enough down the field to not warrant drafting a TE early.

Recently, I've turned my attention to those TE's that could be drafted in the 5th-7th rounds. I've been looking for a TE that can make us more physical along the edge. Someone who could help us seal the corner for cut back runs. I've previously mentioned Tyson DeVree. He remains an option. I'm also interested in Adam Bishop. Bishop scored 7 TD's last year. He's a "terrific special teams player." He can long snap. Remember that Rob Davis retired this year. He's been called an "outstanding blocker." He's also been called "aggressive and tough" when described as a blocker. This may be a direction for the Packers to consider.

Two more weeks to prepare. And proper preparation prevents poor performance.

Enjoy the buzz.

Talkin' S-Mac.

1 comment:

Grammy said...

Zbikowski news.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/2008/04/notre-dames-zbi.html