Saturday, April 19, 2008

Depth Found On The Defensive Line

Greetings, G-Force.

The Packers season ended with our Defensive Line being pushed backwards. In the NFC Championship, the Giants were more physical than we were. But, I'm not overly concerned with our current state along the defensive line.

Injuries got the best of us at the end of last year. We were playing without Johnny Jolly and Colin Cole. Jolly showed that he is capable of being a run stopping anchor at DT. He and Pickett form a solid foundation on run downs. Cole frustrates me and I think that we could improve at his spot, but I'm hoping that he sees diminished playing time due to the growth of Justin Harrell. I fully expect Harrell to be much improved in his second season. I am also interested in seeing the development of Daniel Muir. I thought that he showed promise during the pre-season.

At end, A-to-the-K seemed to wear down towards the end of the season. Cullen Jenkins was nicked up and unproductive for the majority of '07. KGB was a star for the 1st 10 games. Then he got injured and he was not the same for the rest of the year. I hope that Michael Montgomery has played his last down in Green Bay. Jason Hunter only brings value on special teams and is unable to make an impact as a down lineman.

The depth of the 2008 DL draft class does not overly impress me. At DT, Glenn Dorsey and Sedrick Ellis will be off the board when the Packers pick. Kentwan Balmer will most likely be drafted before the Packers select as well.

Trevor Laws was a college producer, but he does not interest me.

I am interested in a couple of run stopping DT's: Marcus Harrison, DeMario Pressley, Dre Moore, Pat Sims Frank Okam, and Red Bryant. Though it is not necessary, I would be fine with the Packers drafting any of these guys in Rounds 3-4. I have never seen Ahtyba Rubin but I enjoy what I read and that'd put him in this class as well.

I don't think that Nick Hayden will have much of an NFL career.

Keilen Dykes was a formidable run stopper who is better suited for the 3-4. He's a tireless worker. He could be a decent late round pick.

Andre Fluellen and Letroy Guion on two FSU prospects that are overrated and unproductive in college. They do not excite me.

At the DT position, I do not see anyone with much pass rushing ability outside of Ellis and Dorsey.

At DE, Chris Long, Vernon Gholston, Derrick Harvey, and Phillip Merling will be drafted before the Packers are on the clock. If Calais Campbell is on the board, he'd have to be considered. He's mammoth. He's a large man that intimidates. He had an average junior year after recording double digit sacks as a sophomore. I question his desire. When he wanted it, he got it. But, he seemed to fall asleep at times. At times, he disappears, but if he fills out and lives up to his potential, he'll be a superstar. He's upside makes him worth the risk at #30.

Quentin Groves and Lawrence Jackson are not worth the #30 pick and they won't be around when we pick in the 2nd round.

Jason Jones seems best suited for a 3-4. So does Chris Ellis.

Johnny Dingle has a passionate motor. He leaves everything that he has on the field, but I don't think that he has enough to make it as an every down DE. I put Wallace Gilberry and Eric Foster is in this same category.

Darrell Robertson will be too small to be a star at the next level.

I like what I read about Kenny Iwebema. We've had success with one Iowa DE. May we try another in the 5th round?

In closing, I'm not overly impressed with the DL depth in this draft. Couple that thought with the belief that the Packers are deep on the DL and I don't foresee the Packers selecting more than more DL in the draft. It would not surprise me if the Packers do not draft a DL at all.

Next up: LB's.

Happy Saturday.

Good Day,

Talkin' S-Mac.

No comments: