Wednesday, November 21, 2018

My Take -> Week 12

Greetings, G-Force.

4-5-1. 1-3 in the season defining 5-game stretch. Still winless on the road after another gut wrenching loss. Now, in order to make the playoffs, the Packers will likely need to win out. Yes, it’s possible that a 9-6-1 could sneak the Packers into the playoffs if things fall right as we scoreboard watch, but it’s highly unlikely.

As I write, I intensely listen to the Rolling Stones "Flashpoint" album. The Factory Girl on this album is on fleek. So is the Paint It Black. If you haven't listened to it recently, vibe in. You'll enjoy.

Here are my quick vibes from the last week:

I'm thankful for each of my readers. I'm thankful for the likes, the shares, the RT's, the comments. I'm thankful that you read and that you let me know that you did. It keeps me going. Even when the team is playing bad football.

I'm thankful that I'm born and raised in Green Bay, WI. I'm happy to be a Packers fan. I love Titletown, U.S.A. Even when my team is 4-5-1, I promise to watch, to cheer and to carry on with heavy faith in the future of the franchise. I'm a believer in the past, the present and the future. Even when I know that I have my Packers blinders on. I'm emotionally vested and I'll always root with optimism.

Plainly stated, Pete Carroll outcoached Mike McCarthy. It was painful. The Packers were the far superior team. But, the difference in the game was QB play and coaching. Seattle kept running the ball. Green Bay did not. Russell Wilson was clutch in the last 20 minutes of the game. Aaron Rodgers was not.

With the season slowly faltering directly in front of our eyes, Aaron Rodgers horrendously missed a 2-yard pass that would’ve extended the drive.

There were 9 minutes to play. The Packers were 12 yards from paydirt. Leading 21-20. It was 3rd and 5. Aaron Jones was wide open over the middle of the field. Aaron Rodgers never saw him. And, thus, Rodgers took a miserable sack.

Before the season, I thought the Packers would finish 9-7. At present, it looks like I’ve over projected. But, there's a lot of football left and I'm bullish on the way this team will finish the season.

If I’m Gutekunst, I demand a meeting with McCarthy and Murphy. I pound the table. I firmly request that Tonyan sees all of Kendricks’ snaps. I want to see what we have in this kid. He might be special.

I’m crazy, yes, but I still have faith that this team is going to turn it around. Throughout their careers, Rodgers and MM have almost always got the last laugh in the regular season. I’m banking on that happening again in 2018.

For those wanting to talk about Mike McCarthy's pending exit, there will be a time for that. That time is not now. For now, I focus on the Packers making a playoff run. And, when people ask me what I want in the remainder of the season, my reply is fairly simple. I'd like to see the NFC rankings go like this: 1.) Rams 2.) Saints 3.) Bears 4.) Redskins 5.) Packers 6.) Panthers. In the Wild Card, the Packers beat Washington and Chicago beats Carolina. The Packers beat the Rams and the Bears beat the Saints. The Packers flash trump card in Soldier Field, once again. The Packers play in the Super Bowl. Pipe dream? Undoubtedly. But, as long as there is a chance, I'll hold onto belief. I'm ready to enjoy this ride. One game at a time.

Kyler Fackrell! Wow! Where did that burst come from? He was a man on a mission. Hopefully, he can continue to play with purpose and to be a pass rushing demon.

Loved the Clay Matthews forced fumble. It was the exact thing that the Packers needed to start the game. It was fun to watch the Packers capitalize on the turnover as well.

Is Kumerow going to be activated?! You know that Rodgers is fired up about that possibility! If Kumerow plays, he will be targeted!!

Mettle is my favorite word in the direction. Mike McCarthy has displayed tremendous mental mettle throughout his career in the regular season. His teams have always handled adversity well. I'm confident that this team will finish the season with authority.

The Packers secondary has been in position to make plays, but their either not turning their head around or they are a half step late. Josh Jackson especially. He's really close to hauling in an interception. I think it happens this week.

With Davante Adams and Aaron Jones, the Packers have premier players at RB and WR. With ESB, MVS, Cobb, Kumerow and Williams, the Packers have great depth at both positions as well.

Well done, Trevor Davis. You got screwed on the long kickoff return. That was not a hold.

Not to gripe on the officiating, but how do you overturn that catch on the sideline? David Moore didn't even think he caught it. His body language told it all. Game changing call by the officials.

I loved when the Packers got Jones involved in the passing game to close the 2nd Quarter. Where was that in the second half? Rodgers has to look at his check downs. They're wide open!

Davante Adams. Total stallion.

Robert Tonyan. BOBBY!

Without Mike Daniels, our DL depth is razor thin. Expect all opponents to do exactly what Seattle did against us. They'll pound it right at the teeth of our defense. Time of Antonio Morrison to step up in the run game. He can stack and shed at ILB. He'll need to play a major role in the defense without Daniels. It's also time for Montravious Adams to step up and take advantage of his opportunity. Seize the moment, Adams!

MVS needs more than 3 targets a game.

The play design on the opening drive was fantastic. It had disguise. It had misdirection. It had motion. Then, it went back to the same old, same old deep ball.

Had Rodgers hit Adams in stride on the first deep ball, it'd have been a TD. Instead, the throw was a little behind him and because of it, Adams could not make a play after the catch.

Great grab, ESB!

Tony Brown has limited talents, but I love his fight and his confidence. He was put in a tough spot. He played well.

This team needs Breeland and King healthy. Badly. I want to see this secondary with Breeland, King and Jaire at CB.

This week - the board fell different than past weeks in my weekly Fanspeak Mock Draft. I was surprised that Greedy Williams was around with my 1st pick in the 1st round, so I had to grab him. I also went DL earlier than I would've preferred, but Derrick Brown was around in Round 2, so I couldn't pass him up. Because of it, my EDGE defenders are different than what I've been targeting on a weekly basis. Here's what I ended up with:

Round 1a.) Greedy Williams, CB, LSU.
Round 1b.) Josh Allen, EDGE, Kentucky.
Round 2.) Derrick Brown, DL, Auburn.
Round 3.) Chase Winovich, EDGE, Michigan.
Round 4a.) Yodny Cajuste, OT, Dub-V.
Round 4b.) Kaden Smith, TE, Stanford.
Round 5.) Max Scharping, OT, NIU.
Round 6a.) Carl Granderson, EDGE, Wyoming.
Round 6b.) Lukas Denis, S, Boston College.
Round 7.) Sheldrick Redwine, S, []_[].

This week - it's the 'queens. In Minnesota. On Sunday Night. When we last walked into this Dome, the Packers were 4-1 coming off of a season that fell one game short of the Super Bowl. The vibes around the Franchise were overwhelmingly optimistic. Rodgers went down and ever since then, the Franchise's buzz has been spiraling down hill. Well, "the roller coaster has to roll to the bottom before it climbs to the top again" and I can't think of a better place to reenergize this franchise than to find a win in the building that started this nasty state of mind.

We know them. They know us. When we played earlier in the year, Minnesota threw the ball 48 times and ran it 18 times. The 'queens would be crazy to only run the ball 18 times this week. In fact, I believe that the team that rushes the ball for more yards this weekend will win the game. I don't envision a scenario in which the Packers can stop Minnesota's run game. The DL is too depleted. The only thing that will stop Minnesota's run game is their impatience. Thankfully, I believe that Minnesota will try to throw the football. They'll look to Diggs deep down the field. They'll target Thielen on slants and ten-yard in-routes. They'll try to get the ball to Rudolph in the flat. They'll want to find Cook and Murray on swing passes. And, Cousins will make a mistake.

I really believe that Josh Jackson will have an interception this week.

McCarthy must stay patient with the run game. Big plays can happen at the teeth of the Minnesota defense. If you try to win with speed to the edge, the queens LB's are too fast. You have to attack run between the tackles. Win the trenches.

And, Rodgers has to look at the crossing route. It'll be open. Behind the LB and in front of the safety.

With Rhodes likely marking Adams all day, MVS will be a speed mismatch for Trae Waynes. Waynes cannot keep up with MVS. And, Waynes is susceptible to either giving up the big play on the deep ball or to being called for pass interference. I'd target him early.

The Packers have to finish in the Red Zone and Rodgers has to focus on three step drops on 3rd down.

This has the makings of a thriller!

Packers 31.
queens 27.

Go Pack Go!

Talkin' S-Mac.
talkins-mac.blogspot.com











No comments: