Saturday, October 4, 2008

Who Are You Watching Now?

Greetings, G-Force.

Where is Jeremy Thompson? The first guy that Ted Thompson ever traded up for cannot get himself on the field. By now, I expected Thompson to seeing playing time on 3rd downs from the DT position. Instead, I'm not sure whether the Packers have even attempted the experiment. Hunter & Montgomery have stalled in their attempts to rush the QB. A quick check of Corey Williams 2008 stats shows: 4 games. 14 tackles. 0.5 sacks. Can you say Cletidus Hunt?

Right now, my focus for the '09 Draft is on the defensive line. I have severe questions about the status Harrell & KGB's health.

So far, I'm most impressed with Michael Johnson & Tim Jamison at DE. Johnson is a speed end. Long arms which he uses to play the run well. A bit light, but he'll add strength/weight. Small resemblance to Jason Taylor. In fact, he'd be my 1st round pick.

OK, I'm way ahead of myself with this, but my initial '09 Mock Draft shows:

1.) Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
2.) Brandon James, RB/KR, Florida - Only a Junior, but he might come out.
3.)Brandon Hughes, CB, Oregon State - He was a top performer in the Oregon State win over USC. Great at coverage on crossing routes. Can play the slot. Gets in your face. Can also play zone. Tough. Sure tackler.
4 a)OL
4 b)OL
5) Patrick White, QB, WVU - he'll play WR at the next level
6a) DeMonte Bolden, DT, Tennessee - Myron Pryor, DT, Kentucky is also an option
6b)OL
7)OL

We add a DE that can make an addition in '09, two playmakers on offense, another young CB (see ya, J-Bush!), OL & DL depth.

Enjoy your weekend,

Talkin' S-Mac.

1 comment:

Grammy said...

If I were the Packers I'd probably not draft a RB in the second round. The Packers should focus only on the Defense and Offensive Line. It looks like they'll need some CB and Safety help. I'd also look to shore up the defensive line first.

Michael Johnson could be a pretty good pick, if he doesn't shoot up the draft boards.

If the Packers do end up with a top 10 pick, do you think they go defense or RB? If they could get Wells or Moreno, wouldn't you want them to take a chance? But I honestly see TT trading down if the Pack has a pick that high unless there is someone he is dead set on getting.