Wednesday, August 21, 2019

My Take -> Preseason Week 3

Greetings, G-Force.

Each year, we seem to have one preseason game that looks like what we witnessed in Baltimore. It’s unbearable. It’s unwatchable. For a moment, it makes me think that the depth on the team might not be what I thought it would be. But, generally speaking, the flaw can specifically be pointed in the direction of the QB.

As I write, I listen to the Hip Abduction’s new album called “To the Ends of the Earth.” If I’m going to put added thought into the misery of the 2nd preseason game, I’m going to do so with a positive, Island beat in my head. I sip a 2015 Crooked Stave Hibiscus and Cinnamon beer. The body is still thick. The nose is still sharp. It’s perfectly sour. A good relaxing companion.

Here are my quick vibes from the last week:

I’m not going to get overly worked up over a preseason game, but in both preseason games, this Packers team doesn’t look like they’re in top fitness shape and they haven’t been overly physical. Those that are playing significant snaps are wearing down quickly. They are missing an enormous amount of tackles. And, against Baltimore, the Ravens were the far more physical team. In the preseason, you can’t judge scheme, but you can assess toughness and conditioning. Thus far, I’m worried that the Packers aren’t in Week 1 game shape.

Really though, after a 2nd watch, outside of the putrid back up QB play and Gary + Dexter Williams falling far short of what I’d hoped for, there were plenty of exciting individual performances.

It’s unbelievable that Gutekunst did not sign a veteran back up QB like Josh Johnson or Josh McCown. If Kizer or Boyle has to play in a regular season game, the Packers would have very little chance of winning. Neither is ready.

G-Mo looks like a legitimate #2 receiver.

I thought MVS did a solid job of run blocking.

Kumerow is a lock for this team.

Thus far, Allen Lazard is the toughest cut on this team. I thought that the Packers might’ve asked him to bulk up, so that he could be used as more of a receiving TE. Instead, he skimmed down and looks like a legit perimeter WR. In fact, in my Draft blog this Spring, I wrote: “Allen Lazard was a sneaky late season addition who could add weight to present himself as a mismatch receiving TE option.” As of now, my top 5 WR are: Adams, G-Mo, MVS, Kumerow, Lazard. For me, he’s surpassed ESB.

Savage covers ground so quickly. Love the way he steps up in the run game.

Z Smith is going to be a lot of fun to watch this year. He’s so quick in space. It’s tough to get a hand on him.

Kenny Clark is a workhorse! He’s poised for another dominating year.

Rashan Gary’s motor lacked fuel.

Keke plays with quickness. He has a deceptive, shifty move to his game that allows him to not get touched and find his way into the backfield.

Darrius Shepherd is making a push for a roster spot. He’s shown that he can be a worthwhile returner. He has good quickness. He’s also a natural slot WR and the Packers don’t seem to have anyone else in that mold. I’m not sure that you absolutely need a true slot WR, but he seems to operate well in short spaces. Can he surpass Davis as the return man?

Dexter Williams. Gulp. He has to catch that screen. The fumble is unacceptable. Disappointing.

Up and down day for Cole Madison. Had moments of dominance using his hips and feet to turn defenders, while sliding laterally. But, he also lost the point in a bull rush.

Same with Elgton Jenkins. Know he was whistled for two penalties - one which was highly questionable - but, he was a force for most of his snaps. He belongs!

Bolton has earned a spot on this team. He attacked the line of scrimmage in the run game. He was in position in the pass game. He was also a force on special teams.

Ty Summers is often in the right place. He needs to finish plays.

James Crawford must intercept that pass and turn it into a pick-6. That was a gimme.

I fantasize at the thought of the Packers signing Nick Perry to a 1-year, veteran’s minimum deal. Perry marinates on the bench for the first 6-weeks and eventually plays a rotational role.

Appears that the Packers are going to try and stash Randy Ramsey and Markus Jones on the practice squad.

It’s clear to me that the Packers do not have a worthwhile backup QB for 2019. I’m not saying that I’d give up on Kizer yet, but he’d be my #3. Boyle would be on the Practice Squad.

With the College Football season beginning next week, I've initiated my 2020 NFL Draft preparations. The plan is to invest significant time in ILB, DL, S, and OT. I'm not as interested in studying the QB positions as I still don't believe that it's in the Packers best interest to develop a QB. I believe that they should be investing in a veteran QB as a back-up to the 2-time MVP. Here is my initial Packers 2020 Mock Draft:

Round 1.) Walker Little, OT, Stanford.
Round 2.) Rashad Lawrence, DL, LSU.
Round 3.) JR Reed, S, Georgia.
Round 4.) Shaquille Quarterman, ILB, []_[].
Round 5.) Joe Gaziano, DL, Northwestern.
Round 6.) Jordan Fuller, S, Ohio State.
Round 7.) Troy Pride, CB, ND.
Round 7.) Michael Pittman, WR, USC.

This week – it’s the Raiders. Excitingly, the game will be played in Winnipeg. I’m interested to hear what the crowd sounds like in Winnipeg for preseason football.

I’d expect Rodgers to play one series, even though it sure sounds like he would prefer not to play. I hope he does just to get the kinks worked out. A series of real life action — without a red jersey — would be healthy for Rodgers. It’d help readapt him to the speed of the game. I also want to see him releasing the ball quickly and not holding onto the football.

It’s important for Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams for them to get touches this week as well.

Look for Robert Tonyan and Allen Lazard to nab first down grabs.

Look for Josh Jackson to make s play on the ball.

Bolton impresses again!

Fadol Brown sees action and shows we he was brought back as a FA signing this year.

Expect to see MVS streaking down the sideline on a bomb.

Tony Brown gets his hand on another pass.

The Packers second team OL shows much better than they did against the Raiders DL last year.

Dexter Williams finds the end zone.

Packers 27.
Raiders 20.

Go Pack Go!

Talkin’ S-Mac.
Talkins-Mac.blogspot.com


No comments: