Wednesday, December 27, 2017

My Take -> Week 17

Greetings, G-Force.

The Times They Are A-Changin'

Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone.
If your time to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'.
Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call
Don't stand in the doorway
Don't block up the hall
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
There's a battle outside
And it is ragin'.
It'll soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls
For the times they are a-changin'.
Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'.
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'.

We are all a product of our roots. We apply those roots to our present state and the culmination of those experiences defines us. Some moments in our lives carry more meaning than others. Some are positive and some are negative. My roots began in Titletown, U.S.A. I couldn’t be more proud of my upbringing. When this blog started in the early 2000’s, my mission was to write with an optimistic, yet realistic approach to the current state of the Packers union. For the most part, I feel I’ve held true to that philosophy. I’ve tried to provide a different outlook than you’ll receive from the mass media or from other bloggers. I’m not a frontrunner. I’m a loyalist. I’ve tried to keep my identity. As I write today, I’m in utter disbelief. Yes, it’s easy to focus on the 2nd shutout loss at Lambeau in 2017. That was disgusting. Consistently, we failed to execute. But, frankly, that wasn’t the thing that bothered me most. What hurt the most is that it feels as though the Green Bay Packers community is vastly different than the one I grew up loving.

Growing up in Titletown, U.S.A.; it was almost a Badge of Honor that was earned when you sat in the cold and defeated the temperatures as you rooted on your beloved Green Bay Packers. These days – it feels as though that Badge no longer exists. As I watched the extensive Purple colored clothing yell with excitement in Lambeau Field, I couldn’t help but remember December 11, 1988. The Green Bay Packers were 2-12. Playing their 15th game of the year. The ‘queens were 10-4. It was 6 degrees. The wind chill was -7. The ‘queens were on their way to the playoffs. The Packers appeared headed to the 1st pick of the draft. Troy Aikman was destined to become a Packer. I was 11 years old. I remember sitting in the heart of those frigid temperatures with my Family. I remember my brother Chad and I reaching across our Mom as Tim Harris notched a sack to belt out an excitable high five. I remember Packers fans walking proudly throughout the Stadium. Packers fans left Lambeau with grins that day. We upped our record to 3-12. We had hindered our chances at getting the #1 pick, but the Packers had claimed victory. And, really, that’s all that mattered.

Today, it’s clearly different. Admittedly, I have had a tough time relating to these current times. As I watched the 15th game of the 2017 season, a piece of my Packers spirit felt weakened. The Faithful seemed less loyal. The temperature was 10 degrees. The Packers were playing the queens. The Packers were eliminated from playoff contention. The queens were playoff bound. The queens were 8.5 point favorites. In 1988, the queens were 10.5 point favorites. But, while in 1988 the Packers fans were rowdily rooting on their team to victory, in 2017, it felt as though a number of Packers fans had sold their tickets to the Dark Side. They had let the enemy into the elements and cozied up to a fireplace.

Some Packers fans will call their disappearance a failure by the Packers meeting expectations. Others will say that it appeared as though the Packers fans suddenly became antagonistic frontrunners. Not only has the organization sunk to new lows in 2017, but the fan base shrunk from the mountaintop to a deep valley.

I’m sure that a number of the same “fans” that are calling for the heads of Thompson, Capers and/or McCarthy are the same “fans” that sold their tickets.

For me, I watch the Packers for entertainment purposes. I believe in energy creation. I believe that fans can make a difference. I believe in the connection between a team and their fanbase. Win or lose, I tune in to enjoy the experience. The result is not always what I hoped for, but I can control how much enthusiasm I carry. Today, it feels like talking Packers football is like talking politics or religion. It seems like it’s easier to get into a disagreement with someone than it is to have a productive conversation. Such is the state of the union for the Packers community. That – for me – is tough to stomach.

Over the last 25 years, the Packers have been to 3 Super Bowls. We’ve been to 7 NFC Championship Games. We’ve won 2 Super Bowls. We’ve been to the playoffs 19 times. Has all of this success made us Elitists? Do we no longer support our adored franchise in times of strife? Sad to think about.

It scares me to think about the way our youthful Packers fans are being raised. It's the complete opposite spectrum as to how I remember my brother, Chad, and my cousin, Danny, watching this team as adolescents. We were three of less than 20,000 people that sat through the Snow Bowl in 1985. I remember the three of us sitting with my Uncle Tim and my Aunt Jeanne during the home opener in 1988. The Packers got destroyed by the Rams, 34-7. But, Johnny Holland was great that day. We stayed until the end to watch Holland rack up tackles. We were raised to support this team and to be present regardless of the outcome. As I watched the color Purple take over Lambeau Field, I couldn't help but feel disappointed. Where did my community go? And, are we teaching the youth right?

Brett Hundley played better than the results showed. His team couldn’t catch the football. Jordy had multiple drops. So, did Lance Kendricks. So, did Michael Clark. I seriously felt bad for Hundley. Other than his first interception, I felt like he played a decent game. Had his receivers caught the ball, his results would’ve been much different.

While the queens defense is pervaded by muscle-soaked, bone-crushing hitters, we’ve become pancake makers. We like our tackling to be soft and fluffy. I thought Reggie Gilbert played well against Minnesota. But, man, he had a chance to make a defining hit on Case Keenum. Keenum was rolling right. Gilbert was in fast pursuit. Keenum released. Gilbert had a chance to deliver a serious hit. Similar to what Barr had done to Rodgers earlier in the year. Instead, Gilbert gave him a soft love tap to the turf. For me, that hit would've been worth the possibility of offering up 15 yards. It had me think: Where’s the fire inside of this defense? Where’s the punch you in the mouth mentality? Dom Capers has failed to bring this defense to higher heights.

Lenzy Pipkins. Why hasn’t he played more often? He was the highlight of the game for me? Twice, inside the 5 he wrapped up to prevent the queens from punching it into the end zone. He has the mentality that this defense needs. I’m not claiming he’s ever going to be elite, but he has the mentality, the swagger and the confidence that our secondary is so painfully lacking.

Michael Clark. A couple of riveting moments. Two absolutely brutal moments. Both in single coverage. Both should have been big plays.

David Bakhtiari is a superstar.

Wish HaHa had pulled in that interception.

Once again, Kenny Clark was dynamite!

Kyler Fackrell grabbed another sack on a hustle play. As I said last week, he’s doing just enough to stick around for another year. Much to my chagrin.

It’s locked in. The Packers will finish third in the Division. We’ll probably have a top 15 pick, too. If we stay in the top 15, we should be able to identify a year 1 difference maker on the defensive side of the ball.

This week – it’s the Lions. The Lions will likely be without three starting OL. Thus, look for Mike Daniels and Kenny Clark to dominate the interior of the line. They get in Stafford’s face. Stafford throws two gifts for interceptions.

Hundley plays composed. He looks to establish rapport with Michael Clark. Clark shows he’s comfortable with the offense. This time – he hangs onto the ball for a TD.

Jamaal Williams runs hard. He bruises his way into the Lions secondary.

The Packers close on a winning note.

Packers 28.
Lions 27.

For now, I’m signing off. In times of trouble, we call upon the most high. Through thick and thin, please remember to always BACK THE PACK!

Go Pack Go!

Talkin’ S-Mac.
Talkins-mac.blogspot.com

No comments: