Monday, October 31, 2011

My Take -> Bye Week

Greetings, G-Force.

7-0. Just enjoyed a bye week by drinking too much whiskey and recovering with a boatload of coffee. It's Halloween weekend. And, it's fun to bring a bit of craziness to life, while in costume. Though the Packers were on bye this weekend, I was wearing my Packer gear as I went to the Lions v Donkeys game in Denver. So, the take is a little late, but better late than never, I hope.

To spice things up a bit, I've asked my good mate, Stack, to break down some college football via his early Mock Draft. Further, I've provided mine. Call it the "Buzz & Stack Vibe." Be ready. Stack can write with the goodness!

Prior to the season, I wrote that I felt the ultimate goal of this organization should be the 3-peat. Not the Repeat, but the 3-peat. Though the Packers won it all from 65-67, it's does not receive the recognition it deserves as a 3-peat in the annals of most football fans minds. Sadly, most consider the birth of the sport to be Super Bowl I. Therefore, the mission of the Ted Thompson-Mike McCarthy-Aaron Rodgers led Green Bay Packers should be the 3-peat. And this happens one game at a time.

In order to achieve this 3-peat, not only will the Packers have to finish business this year, but once again, Thompson is going to have to engineer another brilliant offseason. So, during the bye week, the thought turns to the 2012 NFL Draft and thus, it's the annual "Who Are You Watching Now?" Mock Draft take.

At this stage, I'm projecting that the Packers will receive 4 compensatory picks due to the offseason losses of Cullen Jenkins, Daryn Colledge, Ras-A-tari Bigby, Anthony Smith, B-Jack, Jason Spitz, and Korey Hall. Presently, I'd think the Packers would get a 4th round pick for Jenkins. After 7 weeks, Jenkins is tied for 9th in the NFL with 5 sacks. I'd project the Packers would get a 5th round pick for Colledge who has started in every game thus far for the Cardinals. And I'd guess the Packers would get 2 7th round picks for the losses of Smith, Bigby, B-Jack, Spitz, and Hall. B-Jack has been hurt all year, so that would either limit or eliminate his compensatory value. Smith has appeared in every game except one. Bigby has played in every game so far. Hall has played in every game except one for the Saints. Spitz has made a couple of appearances for the Jaguars. In all, I expect the Packers to have 11 Draft Picks in the 2012 NFL Draft. In the mock, as always, I don't select OL. Though it's worth noting that I've seen David DeCastro, G, Stanford and he's an absolute superstar in the making.

Here you go. Brought to you by Stack.

"There’s an insane amount of bullshit in life. On a daily basis, I can’t imagine that there’s ever been a time so filled with bullshit as these days. Thus, I find that it is important to reward yourself in life, and sometimes that reward gets a little too frequent. Sometimes frequent is just about right, and other times, frequent isn’t nearly enough. Indeed, it’s been a season of indulgences here, and it’s been a beautiful fall. Football weather.

It’s good to be 7 – 0. But the bye week always sucks. So I’ll cram in some extra college football and focus on the future. Draft information is still so diffuse and varied that assembling opinions on value and positioning is impossible, yet further complicated still by the inability to exist between Ted’s ears. Nonetheless, some of the most important tasks in life are impossible in one sense or another. I find defeat to be best left unconsidered.

Round 1: Chase Minnifield. CB – Virginia.

Of course we’re picking 32. Someone will fall to us like Sherrod the year earlier. I’m taking Minnifield here because I’m old enough to remember his dad, plus he’s a confident young guy with the game, the frame, and the desire to be good. I like what I’ve seen out of him and we need a player to be Wood’s protégé. I think Minnifield could be that guy. Looks to have nice longs arms. Good tackler, patient, sits on routes. At 32, I doubt that Devon Still will be available. If he is, I would have to consider him here as at least an equal quality prospect.

Round 2: Kawann Short. DE – Purdue

For better or worse, the worse usually arriving during Bowl season, I always affiliate with the Big 10. I guess, for lack of a better description, the teams just feel closer to home. Short is a beast. He is stout at the point, and has a nice little burst that really closes that yard of space that gets him onto people as a tackler. Pretty well-spoken guy. He’s got a little extra around the waist, but he is visibly a thick body with good lower body strength and balance.

Round 3: Kevin Zeitler. OG – Wisconsin

Okay. I know, first of all, I’m breaking with tradition and drafting an offensive lineman. Secondly, Ted never drafts anyone from UW. And I’m sure it’s not that he wouldn’t but, it just always feels like a reach. Nonetheless, I’m taking Zeitler in the 3rd for excellent value. Zeitler is a stud who pulls and operates in space better than his Badger peers. The guy has played at a consistent level throughout his high school and college career and I think that he has the ability to fit into the zone scheme. Love to see O lineman with the wrestling background, they just understand leverage so well, and this Zeitler has.

Round 4a: Malik Jackson. DE – Tennessee

I watch Tennessee. I’m not sure why. But I do. They’ve always ‘got’ guys. When I watch Tennessee, I see Malik Jackson behind the line of scrimmage on passing downs. The guy could be caught with the ‘tweener tab, but I just see him getting off his blocks and getting after the QB. Listed at 6’5” 265, he’d have to play OLB. When I look at guys who are listed in 4th round, Jackson stands out as a guy who has impressed me.

Round 4b: Marvin McNutt. WR – Iowa

Guy produces. In the Maclin mold. 4th round is a projected spot for McNutt to go. I don’t know if it is reasonable to expect that we see him or not, but it might not take too much to move up a few spots. We do have three seventh rounders in all likelihood. McNutt is one of those guys who seems like he has been around forever, because he’s responsible for highlights everytime the Hawkeyes line it up. Kind of weird that his name is McNutt, but I guess I could get over it.

Round 5a: Davin Megget. RB – Maryland

Come on, how do you not draft Dave Megget’s kid? The guy can return kicks, so while Cobb is excellent at that (as is Nelson, Tramon, etc.), he’d be an option. Diminutive stature, a with a bit more power and a bit less elusiveness than one might expect when you look at him. He’s physical. I question some of his decisions as being a bit reckless, but he is fearless and aggressive. I can see him being a good 3rd down back, especially late in the season when the weather starts to deteriorate.

Round 5b: Kellen Moore. QB – Boise State

Guy puts up the numbers and plays well in big games. He’s a little smaller than you’d like, but seems to get the ball down the field pretty well. We’re going to lose Flynn and Harrell remains a dicey proposition at the moment, so I’m taking Moore here to develop into a QB that we trade in 3 to 5 for a 2nd and a 4th. It’s good value. When they draft a QB late this year and they’re doing all the introduction to the organization and teaching them about the history of the Packers, someone should tell them the story of Doug Pederson.

Round 6: B.J. Cunningham. WR – Michigan State

Drafting two WRs might not be in the cards, but between those cards and Ted’s vest there is only a thin layer of air, which, as a matter of physics, separates any two objects of solid matter. What can I say about Cunningham? First of all we’ve got enough AJ, CJ, TJ, names on our team. Cunningham has an abundance of talent, which he displays from time to time with spectacular catches. But he also has the ability to go passive in a game. He will let things happen to him from time to time. I think Cunningham’s flaws are correctable. His talent stands out to me as I look at where he’s being projected versus his peers. That being said, he’s a big receiver who runs well and plays strong.

Round 7a: Tydreke Powell. DT – North Carolina

Powell is a big body, good thickness and he can definitely still add some weight. Doesn’t offer much in the way of a pass rush, but he knows where the football is. I think he could play either DT or DE in a 3-4. He gets beat from time to time. When I ask myself if it is an upgrade from Wynn or Wilson, I’m hard pressed to find an answer. Coach ‘em up, Trgo!

Round 7b: Manny Abreu. OLB – Rutgers

Guy has played the strong side and the weak side. Plays with force, plays with violence, loves the collisions, has pop behind his pads. There’s a variety of reports on his speed, but I’ve thought that he’s been relevant when I’ve watched Rutgers. He’s a tough guy with a rags to riches type of story, so he’d definitely probably be in the good locker room guy category.

I think Georgia Tech is a team that Packer fans should be tuned into. They play a 3-4 on D. I watched them dismantle Clemson on ESPN3 through my xbox on my tv. I’m seeing Junior DTs Izaan Cross and T.J. Barnes trash the Clemson offensive line, and yet neither of their names appear anywhere in draft talk. What am I missing?

Who knows. This shit is impossible."

Cheers for the words, Stack.

With that the BuzzBoy brings you:

DVR is new to me. It's been great for following the collegiate game. Each week - I've been trying to tape 2 games and then scout a couple of guys. So, everyone that I select will be someone who I've watched play at least one full game.

Round 1: Billy Winn, DE, Boise. After investing mightily in offensive weapons in the 2011 NFL Draft, look for Thompson to stockpile defenders in 2012. Players I considered with this pick were Devon Still, DL, Penn State; Nick Perry, DE/OLB, USC; Lamar Miller, RB, []_[]; Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama; and Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama. I'd like to consider Brandon Jenkins, OLB, FSU, but it's too early for Jenkins. Winn is the choice. The Packers need to improve the pass rush. Clearly, we miss Jenkins. And Neal's injury trend is becoming a concern. Winn has the size, strength and athleticism to hold the point and pressure the QB from a DE spot in the 3-4.

Round 2: Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor. While conventional wisdom is to go after an OLB like Bruce Irvin, WVU, I simply can't do it. Wright has been my favorite collegiate player thus far in 2011. Though he's only 5-10, he's fearless over the middle. He'll go up and get the ball in traffic. He's tough to bring down. And the kid can absolutely fly. I see him as being able to play in the slot or on the outside. He'd fit in our spread offense. Seeing that this is likely Double-D's last year as a Packer, Thompson will probably look to add another WR. Wright would further the brilliance of the Packers offense. Don't get me wrong, I'd like Irvin who was a 1st class pass rusher last year, but he's struggled so far this year and with that, his value is diminishing. I'm also considering Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis; Brandon Lindsey, OLB, Pitt; Robert Barron, S, Arkansas; Cam Johnson, OLB, Virginia; and Vinny Curry, OLB, Marshall, with this pick.

Round 3: Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington. Washington plays awful defense. But, Trufant can play. He's gritty. He's tough. He'll jam you at the line. He can turn and run with WR's. He'll come up and make plays against the run. I find him to be drastically underrated. Additionally, he plays with a physical attitude. Sir Charles and T-Mon would groom him to be a legitimate NFL starter at CB. I'm also looking at Josh Chapman, DT, Alabama; Michael Egnew, TE, Missouri; Robert Lester, S, Alabama; and Cyrus Gray, RB, Texas A&M.

Round 4: Dan Herron, RB, Ohio State. Herron seeks contact. He's a tough runner with good speed. Solid hands. A fighter. He wins 1 on 1 battles in the open field. He makes people miss and has a nose for the end zone. As the Packers spread out defenses, Herron would be a terrific option out of the spread offense.

Round 4a: Antonio Allen, S, South Carolina. Occasionally, Allen struggles in space as a cover safety. He does struggle in space, at times. But, the guy finds the football. He's a great 8th man in the box. He's instinctive. He wraps up. Seeks contact. He plays a similar style as Charlie Peprah. He's athletic and plays with a fun swagga. Others I'm considering in the 4th Round are Jarius Wright, WR, Arkansas; TY Hilton, WR, FIU; Donnie Fletcher, CB, Boston College; Keenan Robinson, OLB, Texas; and Casey Hayward, CB, Vanderbilt.

Round 5: Chris Galippo, ILB, USC. Sure, he talks some trash. And probably too much rubbish is spewed from his mouth. But, the kid backs it up. I'm going to the USC at Colorado game next Friday so I can keep my eye on this kid. While not a powerful tackler, he'll take you to the ground. He's a very good cover LB. He'd flash on special teams. He's a risk taker, which sometimes makes him over pursue the play. I was shocked to see that Galippo was a projected 5-6 round pick at this time.

Round 5a: Jacquies Smith, OLB, Missouri. Smith played behind Aldon Smith over the last couple of years, so he's kind of a late bloomer. He has the size and speed to play OLB in the 3-4. He is a legitimate pass rusher who has shown an ability to drop in coverage. At some point, Thompson will have to address the OLB position opposite CM3. Others I'm considering in the 5th Round are Tim Fugger, OLB, Vanderbilt; Tank Carder, OLB, TCU; Brandon Bolden, RB, Mississippi; Case Keenum, QB, Houston; Kellen Moore, QB, Boise; and Nick Foles, QB, Arizona.

Round 6: Tony Jerod-Eddie, DT, Texas A&M. Jerod-Eddie is huge at 6-5, 302 lbs. He's not a dynamic pass rusher, but he'll get a push and disrupt plays similar to the way Johnny Jolly used to. He gets his hands in the air and alters passing lanes. Additionally, he's fairly stout against the run. I'm taking Jerod-Eddie by a hair over Frank Alexander, OLB, Oklahoma. Alexander might be this years version of Ricky Elmore. Not fast enough to get the corner. Not strong enough to stop the run. Doesn't have elite instincts. But, you can't argue with his production and having him available in the 6th round is a value pick. Others I'm looking at are Joe Adams, WR, Arkansas; and Tyrone Crawford, DE, Boise.

Round 7: Dominique Davis, QB, East Carolina. McCarthy emphasizes good decision making from the QB position. Though I'd like it if the Packers would resign Matt Flynn, it's doubtful that he'll be back with the Packers. Graham Harrell has not shown that he is a legitimate NFL prospect yet. I like Davis. He composed in the pocket. He makes good decisions. He's accurate. He's mobile. He can throw on the run. And he's comfortable in the pocket. In the past, Thompson has shown that he is not afraid to go into the Season with an unproven QB. Unless Flynn is resigned, it's likely that this will be the case in 2012 once again.

Round 7a: Nicolas Jean-Baptiste, DT, Baylor. Thompson will draft DL in the 2012. It'll be a point of emphasis. Howard Green will be a FA. Although Pickett has played really well, he is aging. I'm excited about the potential development of Lawrence Guy, but he'll be a work in progress. CJ Wilson and Jarius Wynn have not taken the next step. And Mike Neal can't stay healthy. Jean-Baptiste is a big boy. A run stuffer who plugs the middle. He's quick for a 330 lb DT. Moves well side-to-side and hasn't received the recognition he deserves.

Round 7b: Brandon Taylor, S, LSU. Yes, at this stage, I'm drafting 2 safeties. But, Nintendo Nick's career is in jeopardy. And J-Bush is not a safety. MD Jennings has shown a lot of promise, but we need to ensure depth in the secondary. Taylor is assignment sure. He has displayed good hands. Because the secondary at LSU is so good, Taylor is often overlooked. While Allen would be a safety in the box Safety in the 4th Round, Taylor has the ability to play CF. Others I'm considering in the 7th round are Travis Benjamin, WR, []_[]; Jerrell Young, S, South Florida; Jordan Jefferson, QB, LSU; and Jarrett Lee, QB, LSU.

Enjoy the bye week. Happy Halloween.

Go Pack Go!

Talkin' S-Mac.
talkins-mac.blogspot.com

No comments: